The Guild Programme – Appendix 4 – From a student’s point of view.

1. Students would express a preference at career counselling interview at the the end of Year 9 but this mainly for a snapshot rather than a binding career choice. The student would transfers to the tertiary institution and enrols in the Academic Faculty at the start of Year 10. The tertiary institutions operate on business hours.

2. They would be expected to pursue a common core curriculum for Years 10 and 11 that must include basic English , Maths and one Science. These and any other core subjects will cover 60% of their time. The other 40% of the time is for options. This could be spent on additional GCSE studies and/or vocational work. This may or may not include work experience in Year 11.

3. At the end of the year 11, with the GCSE’s out of the way, the student can either re-enroll with the academic faculty to pursue a purely academic timetable of A-levels or transfer, as an apprentice to the Guild faculty of the same institution. A further careers interview will need to document the preferences expressed by the student, the counselling given and the action agreed between the student and the institution.

4. An intermediate or advanced apprentice at the Guild could be spending upto 80% of their timetable with a local employer with on-job-training. The Guild should have enough training posts locally to allow someone to progress through all levels of training required in order to become time served. This may mean working with a variety of employers in the local area over a two to five year period from the age of 16.

5. The amount of on-the job training will be determined by the organisation that is controls the apprenticeship qualification. Studies in support of the apprenticeship are likely to be City & Guilds or BTEC on a day or block release basis. Students that have not reached the required standard in ordinary English and Maths would have to continue with those studies and that will reduce time available for on-the-job training.

6. Some apprenticeships require external verification of practical competence and skills. External verifiers from the relevant national trade association will visit the apprentice onsite to verify piecework and sign-off on key milestones. This cannot be done by faculty teachers.

7. A further meeting with careers staff will be arranged at the end of Year 13 to document choices, outcomes, advice and future actions. These will be translated into performance metrics for the Guild which are then published.

8. At the end of Year 13 a trade or occupational apprentice will not necessarily have gained sufficient practical experience to be considered time-served. There would be the option to take the next level of an apprenticeship with one or more local employers to focus on this specific requirement. The amount of practical experience required varies as it is determined by each trade association and may , or may not, require further study.

9. There is also the option for an apprentice to switch to university. This will depend on what they studied between the ages of 16 and 18. Generally speaking, BTEC nationals or City& Guilds level 3 qualifications would count towards entry onto a higher education course. Their local Academic faculty should also be offering access courses and Foundation degrees.

10. Similarly, a student that has been pursuing A-levels exclusively in the Academic Faculty could switch to an apprenticeship at the age of 18.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>